Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Pros and Cons: Parents might have for sending their kids to camp

“If we don’t teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them not to.”

From a parent’s perspective sending their kids to Camp Ewalu could be both a bad and a good idea. I thought about it hard and realized there is not that many cons for parents to sending their children to camp. Obviously parents are uneasy about the idea of sending their child, who is very important to them, to camp, especially for the first time.

Cons: The first con I can think of is the cost. Undoubtedly camp is not cheap and all families are not capable of paying the cost for their kids to go to camp. The second con is that camp is a time commitment. It is one week out of a already short summer. Many kids could complain that they want to be with friends and don’t want to spend a week out of their summer at camp. The last reason a parent would say no to camp is they don’t want to let their kids go. At a young age kids are very close to their parents. Parents also want to make sure that their kid is safe, and sending them away to camp is an unknown entity especially for parents that have never been to camp themselves.

Pros: The first pro a parent considers when sending their kid to camp could be that they are sending their child into a world of God to grow in faith. Another reason a parent would send their kid to camp is to have fun and have an experience they will remember their whole life. Although Camp Ewalu is Christian based camp it provides memorable camp experience that any camp would have including songs, pool time, crafts, and games. It is a place to meet new friends and to just be themself. Another reason for sending one or more kids to camp for a parent would having more time in their week to be able to focus on other members of their family and activities.


I see both sides of the spectrum of why or why not parents send their kids to camp. I believe all kids should get the opportunity to go to Camp Ewalu and be able to grow in their faith and have fun as kids.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post. I worked at a summer bible camp this summer and I can completely relate/understand every point that you made. The word choice makes it see both sides of the going to camp. I agree with your last sentence: Every kid should be able to have the chance to go to a summer bible camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Abbie! I unfortunately never went to a week long bible camp and wish that I would have. I've volunteered at vacation bible school and can only imagine how much fun the kids have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. I go to a week-long summer camp every year called Summer Games University and it is definitely my favorite place in the world. I was nervous going to a camp at first because I've never been to one, but it was definitely an amazing experience. A lot of kids have misconceptions that having a relationship with God is boring, but if they take a chance to actually attend some summer camps they will realize that they were very wrong. Summer camps are an incredible place to grow in your faith and develop life-long friendships with other amazing Christians.

    ReplyDelete