Sunday, November 22, 2015

Ways to Pray

Praying is a form of taking to God in a way that makes you feel like He will be listening. Some people always are in the same position every single time but then there are other people that will pray whenever and wherever. Here are a few ways that I have learned to pray or have seen people pray.

1.The traditional position of kneeling and folding hands: I think this is fine but a little too much. Like when I was a kid a lot of my bible/ religious books always show this way at night were they kneel by the bed and fold their hands and bow their head. I never really did this or at least I don’t remember doing it, but I understood that this way is a symbol of praying. The only time I actually do this is with communion at church. Kneel on the pew and pray while waiting for the bread and wine (grape juice).

2.Five-finger praying: You start with your thumb, which is closest to you and pray for the people that are closest to you. Then it’s the pointer finger and is for praying for the people who point the way like teachers or healers. Your middle finger is the tallest so it is for praying for people in a leadership rule like leaders of the church and God’s guidance. Next is the ring finger this reminds us to pray for those who are weak or in trouble. Last but not least is your pinkie were you are reminded to pray for yourself. I learned this from my grandma when I was little.  I have thought the prayer method a lot and how it can remind you that there are lots of different people that need to be prayed for and not just yourself.

3.Meal prayers: These are probably the most common because there are three meals in the day and even if you don’t pray at all of them it is still something that if you get in the routine that you will at least think your prayers. All families have different prayers for mealtime if they pray or eat together. I know that my family has two and when we are with my dad’s parent’s home we say a different one because they are Catholic and have a different way of praying.

4.Song: My favorite way of pray is through song because they usually are very happy and even though I’m an awful singer it makes me feel good inside. These prayers can be either slow or up beat. I love during service when we sing because it brings the congregation together. I also love sing at Camp EWALU because we are singing to God and for God. This is truly something amazing.

There are so many other ways that one can pray to God and these are just four out of thousands of ways. Hope you have your own special way to talk to God. He loves to listen to our prayers and as humans we should love to pray to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment