Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Christmas Story the Musical - Review


This winter Theatre Cedar Rapids (TCR) is putting on the production of “Christmas Story the Musical”. I was able to go see it today with my parents. I have not seen the movie, “The Christmas Story”, so this review is just on the play itself. I believe that the play was entertaining. There were lots of kids in the cast that had to sing and for the most part I thought they did really well. Obviously I don’t sing so I can’t be 100% sure if they were on key. There was a narrator the whole time that spoke once in awhile to express what was going on and also state the thoughts of the main character, Ralphie. When I saw that there was going to be a narrator I questioned what role the narrator would play but over time I began to like how they incorporated it. There were lots of comical parts where I heard and participated in laughter. My dad even cried during the play so my guess is that others did too. Faith played a key role in this play in the fact that Ralphie had to have lots of faith that he could convince his parents to buy him a Red Ryder B-B gun. In the end his wish came true when his dad, who had a B-B gun as a child, has faith that his son won’t shoot his eye out and presents him with a gift of the special B-B gun that Ralphie has been dreaming of. Faith comes in many ways in the Christmas Story; it comes in the way the family loves each other even when everything else goes wrong such as their car having a flat tire, their furnace breaking, and their Christmas turkey stolen by the neighbor’s dogs. The actors and actresses also had to have faith that this production would go well. If I were to rate this play I would give it a 7/10. It was definitely not the best production I have seen at TCR but it was good. It was definitely a feel good musical. I can’t wait to see another show at TCR.

No comments:

Post a Comment