Sunday, December 6, 2015

Adult Coloring Books

Adult coloring books are becoming the big thing in many places around the world. There are so many different kinds of coloring books; they come in different sizes and themes for all situations. The act of coloring in these adult coloring books is a form of stress relief; coloring is meant to be relaxing and helps to get your mind off of everyday life. I recently received one for my birthday.

The version I have is Visual Scriptures, devotional coloring. It is a meditative coloring book. My family picked this particular one because they knew that I love to color and because this book has a faith aspect.  In my coloring book every page has a different picture that is something that is faithful. This isn’t that hard because you can tie most things into faith. Some of the pictures are of angels, birds, people and abstracts. All of them are unique and different.

At the bottom of each page is a verse from the bible. Some of them include: “So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.” – Romans 10:17, “Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.” – Matthew 10:29-31 and “The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.” – Psalms 19:8.

Whenever I start to color a page I read the passage first. I think about what it is trying to say. Many of the times it relates to the picture or the picture helps me make an understanding of the verse. I then will color and keep thinking about what am I supposed to get out of the verse. Coloring time is very relaxing because it is my alone time with God and not a time when others are around me.  Coloring helps me focus and prevents my mind from going every which way.

The last thing about this coloring book that I love is that every single picture has a hidden cross in it. My guess is it’s just the signature for the people that made these pictures. But I also think that there is another meaning. The cross that is so small you have to look for it means that God and faith is so small and you have to look for it to find it. Once you find it you “color” it and its there and you can see it forever. Just like how we have to find our place in faith and with God but once we find it we are there until the next chapter of our life when we may have to find it all over again.


This coloring book is my way to have alone time with God and to relax. That’s what time with God should be: relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment